Cannot trade in private server

Bug reports and discussion about bugs.
Tornado

Cannot trade in private server

Post by Tornado »

Hey there,

I downloaded the game and the server on this link:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/mikaelh/tomenet/downloads/

I downloaded the server and client for the version 4.4.7. I have no idea how to compile a source code.

The game seems to work fine, and my friend can connect to my server with Hamachi, but if one of us drops an item and the other one try to take it, the whole server crashes.

Any idea why? Can anyone help me?

The exact files I downloaded are TomeNET-447-client.zip and TomeNET-447-server.zip.

Thank you in advance for your help.
mikaelh
Developer

Re: Cannot trade in private server

Post by mikaelh »

Well, I can't reproduce this. It's probably some Windows-specific issue though. The Windows version of the server has always had some bugs in it.

Does the server crash exactly when someone tries to pick up an item (i.e. when you press 'g' to pick it up)?

What does the console output say?
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, exactly when someone picks up an item, as soon as "g" is pressed

The console output says:

(Date) Item transaction from (Player 1) to (Player 2)
(Name of the item)
Received signal 11.
Trying panic saving (Player 1)
Trying panic saving (Player 2)
Goodbye (Player 1)!
Goodbye (Player 2)!
tomenet.server: server panic info save succeeded!
tomenet.server: Quitting!

I didn't type all the exact info about the players and the items since I don't think it matters but I can do it if you want.

What about that "signal 11"? What does it mean? Is this the reason the server closes down?
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Just so you know, I still check this forum almost every day for an answer. I really love this game and would like to host my own server without this bug.

The game is still playable but I would be really grateful if you could help me.

Thank you.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

Well, I can start throwing out some guesses if you want to try to solve the problem.

Do you have the file cheeze.log? It should be in the lib/data folder. The server tries to write there when you do item transactions. If the server can't create the file for some reason (e.g. permission problems under Windows 7), that could lead to a crash.

Which Windows version are you running anyway?
Tornado wrote:What about that "signal 11"? What does it mean? Is this the reason the server closes down?
Signal 11 means that the server crashed.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I have the file cheeze.log. Here's what is in it:

18 Oct (Tue) 18:12:05 ITEM Byrios(24,Byrios) : Elpis(6,Byrios) 15(0%) : (null)
18 Oct (Tue) 18:12:25 ITEM Elpis(6,Byrios) : Byrios(24,Byrios) 15(0%) : (null)
18 Oct (Tue) 18:13:19 ITEM Test(1,Byrios) : Test2(1,Byrios) 3(0%) :

There's nothing else since after the multiple initial crashes, I just deleted everything and reinstalled everything from scratch in case the crashed would bug the server or something.

The 2 first transactions are from my two real characters. They actually worked; I bought a scroll with Byrios, then dropped it, relogged with Elpis, took it, and it worked.

Then I made two tests characters. Test1 dropped a cloak that was in his starter inventory. Test2 tried to take it, then it crashed.

Maybe it's caused by trading starter items? I remember my server crashed the first time when I wanted to give away the wand of magic missiles my mage started with. I noticed you can't sell those items, maybe you can't trade them too? My friend isn't available this evening but I'll try to test it with him next time I see him. Still, I wouldn't expect the whole server to crash just to stop a starting item trade.

As for my Windows, it's Windows XP.

Thank you for your help.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

Well, it looks like it says (null) where there should be the item name. That's bad and means that something is definitely wrong. Do you see any (null)s in tomenet.log?

There really shouldn't be anything about starter items that would crash the server. You should be able to trade them but other people won't be able to use them.
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

Since client and server have been updated to 4.4.8a meanwhile, please let us know if the problem has been fixed for you by updating to the latest version, thanks.