You have (nothing)

Bug reports and discussion about bugs.
Rlyeh_Drifter

You have (nothing)

Post by Rlyeh_Drifter »

Hi all,

since today every level has some "holes" in it. Black fields (no '.') which will get overwritten with any other field (stars from balls/blasts, @ from a player walking over).
Additional, some dropped items are left as (nothing) and can be picked up leading to "you have (nothing)".

Any idea?

My only lead so far is that this started after messing around with the admin account and the /wish command.
Rlyeh_Drifter

Re: You have (nothing)

Post by Rlyeh_Drifter »

Server log attached, the Error after INIT_AI is normal? (had been there all the time)

Code: Select all

{R   TomeNET server - v4.4.4

{r   "Tales of Middle Earth"

{w                      http://www.tomenet.net/
{w   http://koti.mbnet.fi/mikaelh/tomenet/
{w        http://www.c-blue.de/rogue/

{y Documentation at http://www.c-blue.de/rogue/TomeNET-Guide.txt
[Initializing lua... (scripts)]
17 Aug (Wed) 09:52:31_SERVERSTARTUP_9:52:31-2011/8/17(3)
[Initializing arrays... (features)]
[Initializing arrays... (skills)]
[Initializing arrays... (objects)]
[Initializing arrays... (artifacts)]
[Initializing arrays... (ego-items)]
[Initializing arrays... (monsters)]
[Initializing arrays... (ego-monsters)]
[Initializing arrays... (dungeon types)]
[Initializing arrays... (vaults)]
[Initializing arrays... (traps)]
[Initializing arrays... (action types)]
[Initializing arrays... (owners types)]
[Initializing arrays... (stores types)]
[Initializing arrays... (other)]
[Initializing arrays... (alloc)]
[Initializing arrays... done]
GO_INIT: ---INIT---
GO_INIT: ---STARTING UP---
GO_INIT: ---INIT AI---
GO_ERROR: exec().
GO_COMMAND: <time_settings 0 0 0>
SIGPIPE received
GO_ENGINE: ERROR in fflush().
Please wait...
Object flavors initialized...
./tomenet.server: Create TCP socket on port 18348...
./tomenet.server: Set Non-Blocking...
Unable to connect to world server 0 3
Report to meta server:
TomeNET 4.4.7.0 (Compiled Jul 25 2011 21:08:49)
Server is running version 4470
Current time is 17 Aug (Wed) 09:52:32
Session startup turn is: 261143435
Starting player inactivity check..
  0 players expired.
Finished player inactivity check.
Starting account inactivity check..
  12 accounts in total, 12 non-deleted, 10 active.
  0 accounts have expired.
Finished account inactivity check.
Doing house maintenance
Finished house maintenance
17 Aug (Wed) 09:52:32_PLAYLOOPSTARTUP_9:52:32-2011/8/17(3)
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

Rlyeh_Drifter wrote:Server log attached, the Error after INIT_AI is normal? (had been there all the time)
Yes, it's normal if you don't have gnugo installed. The Go minigame just won't work.

The (nothing)s are buggy items and shouldn't be appearing normally. Have you modified any of the game files?
Silvermoon

Post by Silvermoon »

I've seen this before and just ran across it again last night getting my server running.

This error is related to editing the tomenet.cfg file and screwing up the formatting somewhere. On my server, items appeared as a glitchy visual spot on the ground -- Attempting to pick up an item on the tile produces no results, unless you 'l'ook at the tile, at which point standing on it gives the message "You see here on the ground: (nothing)". And you can then pick up the "nothing". As a result of this, no enemies will drop items, no items are generated on the floor (though $ works as expected). Players can drop items on the floor normally - it appears to ONLY affect the random generation of items outside of shops.

Apparently, editing tomenet.cfg with certain text editors can cause this behavior instantly, but I suspect a typo could also cause it.
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

Silvermoon wrote:Apparently, editing tomenet.cfg with certain text editors can cause this behavior instantly, but I suspect a typo could also cause it.
Wow interesting. ;) Well, the tomenet.cfg file is in "unix" format, meaning the line breaks are only 1 character wide, while editors on MS Windows usually use 2-character line breaks (carriage return char + linefeed char). All files except for tomenet.ini which is a windows-specific config file are actually in unix format.
You could for example use "Notepad++" (free, os) to edit files.
Rlyeh_Drifter

Post by Rlyeh_Drifter »

mikaelh wrote:The (nothing)s are buggy items and shouldn't be appearing normally. Have you modified any of the game files?
Only the tomenet.cfg (with nano on linux, although it seems odd to have an impact on level creation).

I think it has something to do with our accounts/saves (see also this thread http://www.tomenet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=197).

After posting here i started a fresh server from scratch and created the basic admin- account and a player account, everything was fine with a new character. When i copied the old save file for this player and character it still was ok, the char was in the new world with all gear and so on.
So i tried recreating all other accounts, but at some point the problems started again.
Do the account-IDs have to be matched to transfer the accounts? They were different.

The "solution" for us was the following: first the admin- account was created, then every player created his account with the one character he wished to transfer (with the old name). Then i copied the save files. Every Account now has a full list of characters (although only one was created before) with all at level 1 and the transferred character doubled (one at level 1 and the other at the same level as on the old server). When the player chooses his transferred character (either one) he is back in business, the other characters start new.