How to enable Graphics?

Bug reports and discussion about bugs.
mxb2001

How to enable Graphics?

Post by mxb2001 »

; - enable graphics in general (0=off)
Graphics=1

I modified the .ini like this but the .bmp files (they are present in correct dir) are not being loaded. What else do I need to do? Invoke Thor or Odin? :)
--
01/01/01
mikaelh
Developer

Re: How to enable Graphics?

Post by mikaelh »

Graphics support is broken in TomeNET. The issue was recently discussed in another thread: http://www.tomenet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

[quote="mikaelh"]Graphics support is broken in TomeNET. The issue was recently discussed in another thread: [url]http://www.tomenet.eu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236[/url][/quote]

Does it work in the previous version? I didn't see a note in the download about the graphics being broken so I presume it must be a very recent occurence. When will the next version with the fixed graphics come out? Just my luck I downloaded the broken one!
--
01/01/01
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

When I said it's broken, I meant that it's been broken for years. I don't know how far you'd have to go to find a version where graphics work. It's possible they were already broken when TomeNET was initially forked from MAngband.
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

[quote="mikaelh"]When I said it's broken, I meant that it's been broken for years. I don't know how far you'd have to go to find a version where graphics work. It's possible they were already broken when TomeNET was initially forked from MAngband.[/quote]

Holy... Ok well at least I can save a bit of disk space by deleting the bmp files. (Yes I'm that short of space, too lazy/busy to get things sorted out on the disk :)
--
01/01/01
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

Graphics were NEVER implemented in TomeNET, even 15 years ago when it was still PernMAngband. To enable graphics, you would have to code the part that was added in MAngband 1.1/1.2 (tile mode).
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

And you would get something like this... ;)

http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewtopic ... t=15#p8882
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

The game would probably be unplayable with graphical tiles instead of ascii characters, due to lack of overview of the situation and problems recognizing the exact monster types, at least at higher levels.
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

I agree here. Graphics are nice, but you *need* to be able to tell the difference between say an Erinyes and a Greater Balrog. In recent Angband variants, you have three features that make graphics playable:
- large tile sets (32x32, 64x64)
- monster list subwindow: if you don't remember what a specific tile is, look at the monster name in the subwindow
- resizeable window
Implementing these feats in TomeNET would mean a *lot* of work. I've done that for my MAngband variant, and I can tell it's hours of coding...
Argle

Post by Argle »

In principle, I think a similar level of information could be expressed via graphical tiles. Iconic imagery could be developed in place of the various o's and D's, and each tile could have regions where the 'base color' could be expressed clearly, and procedurally, and without compromising the visual aesthetic of the monster. A Dragon's skin, a humanoid's armor coloring, a jelly's jelly, etc. I believe Dwarf Fortress does something similar here, where tiles are layered and transparent regions in a given tile are drawn over a solid tile of the base color.

In practice, however, that's a lot of work for artists you don't have, and would require a complete overhaul of the display engine.