Dungeons map

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
Zil

Dungeons map

Post by Zil »

Have the global map be known to every character since the beginning, and have dungeon coordinates be available in ~.

This would encourage playing different dungeons than just the town ones.
jezek

Re: Dungeons map

Post by jezek »

I think all dungeon coordinates are already written on some bulletin board in Bree.
Gesfil

Post by Gesfil »

They are, but they are not easily accessible for a new player who would need to look around the whole world to check what particular pluses are doing. Also the guide is lacking in descriotion of dungeons. How its done today is that most people dont come out of cities and city dungeons apart from orc cave - especially new players.

Info in Bree should be accessible via ~ in game, including information about additional xp, to encourage new players to go there and explore. Even though i have been playing for 15 years i havent been in most of the dungeons since they were in a strange place and i didnnot have necessary information to say if i prefer going there.

Also in cities dungeons are extremely comfortable in comparison to those without a city on top. Maybe we can adjust it by making on surface recall faster to speed up the travel, but first you would still need to get there, which is not fun and is boring. Maybe we should be able to recall wherever we want to make those dungeons used more.

The map itself is also so vast and empty that its pointless that we gave to discover it since its already empty and pretty much nobody will want to do that, which is another reason for people to sit mostly in cities.
darwin

Post by darwin »

Yes, locations should be more readily-available in the game and an additional guidebook. You can recall wherever you want: 'rec depth', '/rec x y' ('/rec -50' recalls to nearest dungeoun you've been in level 1;'/rec 32 32' recalls to Bree).

Travel really should be sped up. In Dungeons & Dragons the Dungeon Master would just say you travel one 24mi hexagon in a day (if you have horses, etc.) and usually skip the details--there were rules on that.