EXPENSIVE_ITEM forces crash and panic save

Bug reports and discussion about bugs.
Vadun

EXPENSIVE_ITEM forces crash and panic save

Post by Vadun »

Running 4.9(0.7?), finding something like a Defender dagger or Elven ego armor crashes the server everytime without fail. Panic save has succeeded each time so far, but its a little annoying.

EXPENSIVE_ITEM: a Dagger (Defender) {21} (1d4) (+9,+7) [+1] (+2 to stealth) (38560 Au) found by (null)(lv 106507792) at 21,32,32Received signal 11.

That's the message given before crashing. Looks like it's pointing to a null player? How do I fix this?
Vadun

Re: EXPENSIVE_ITEM forces crash and panic save

Post by Vadun »

This seems to be related to the Cheezelog feature, i'm hoping it goes away if I set the log level to be less than 2.

Once I figure out how to compile it.
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

This should _not_ happen if the server is built correctly. Do not try to remove/workaround this just to silence this particular crash, as it actually indicates a deeper problem with the exectuable. It is very likely not an actual code bug.

To me it seems that the server is linked from bad object files because they weren't cleaned up after header files changed between the previous server version and this one.

The problem should (tm) be resolved if you issue a "make clean" before building the server (with 'make' and possibly a makefile parameter).

However, to confirm all of this, it'd be helpful if you could run the server in gdb (GNU debugger), eg:
gdb tomenet.server
and then type "run" to start it.
When it crashes, type "bt" to generate a backtrace log and post it here.
If doing "make clean" resolves your issue, this won't be necessary I guess.
Vadun

Post by Vadun »

Finally got around to compiling our own version rather than using the precompiled version available elsewhere on the forums.

Forgot to do make clean, but made sure to only use header files from the github project.

Still crashed due to expensive_item logging.

Will attempt to get the debugger working, or just compile with cheezelogging disabled if it's something we can't figure out.
tokariew

Post by tokariew »

Is it my windows version doing weird things? on admin account i didn't see that :|
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
Vadun

Post by Vadun »

tokariew wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:39 pm Is it my windows version doing weird things? on admin account i didn't see that :|
That's the one I used originally, yes.

But we compiled a new server from github, created fresh accounts with fresh characters and it still crashed so I don't think it's anything you did wrong.