Accidental Floating

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
Shank

Accidental Floating

Post by Shank »

I think a floor should not be reset for at least one minute after you die on it. This would prevent what happened to me today from happening again.

I was playing today as my EL character Chib. I took a staircase from -1650 to -1700 Angband. The staircase on -1700 was directly outside a mixed D pit. The walls exploded and my character was instantly killed. As I noticed the walls explode I hit < to try to flee back down the staircase. The result is my ghost floated to 1650. After I realized I was dead I looked around the map to see if I was at a safe distance from the D pit. At that point I noticed I had floated to -1650. I quickly floated back to -1700 in an attempt to hold the level.

I spent the next minute or two talking to some other people online about what had happened. Then suddenly some Us broke through the wall and killed my ghost. After I ghost died I took another character to -1700 to see if Chib's loot was there. It was not there. It had been reset in the few seconds I had left the floor on accident.

I guess I deserved dying and having my ghost die. I don't think my loot should be lost though.
Theyli

Re: Accidental Floating

Post by Theyli »

This sounds like a good idea to me. All of us have lost everything because of accidental floating.
Goobernut

Post by Goobernut »

I've also had this happen on multiple occasions.
Why not add some thing to clear the buffer when you die?
LittleMe

Post by LittleMe »

Sounds like a great idea to me! Happened to me and lost all sorts of eq. :(
Tanis

Post by Tanis »

Bah! What's the point of dying, if you can go back and save loot? I mean if you die, < on accident, return within the 1 minute proposed time save of lvl, then what's to stop someone from saying, 'You know what? I not rly like the way this toon is turning out anyways. I will go and perma die.' Then the said same dude/et goes and gets another toon and clears the lvl and recovers all loots. There is a reason they have a chance to loose loot when you die anyways.... But then again i see 'cheez' happening in the game like it is going out of style, but i'm just a peon so what can i say.
Zeliwin

Post by Zeliwin »

There is already so much cheez from the guilds and other players whats one more thing Tanis? What always got me with Tomenet and why I don't play often is if you don't find good gear between level 20-30 and u are new you will perish, it is almost impossible to make it in the game without a guild. And between the art resets and everything else, if you are not in a guild and are a new player well.... Good luck to you =).

I like the idea, But I think a minute is to long, 30 seconds is a more reasonable to recover your gear if u float by mistake.
opl

Post by opl »

You've got my vote as well - happened many times to me, usually making me ghost-diving till perma-death or rage-quitting the char ;-)