I'm heading to Mount Doom ...

Share your strategies here.
Archma

I'm heading to Mount Doom ...

Post by Archma »

/Cry.

- I know its north-east of Bree on the east edge with a depth of -4250 to -5000.

What do you Know? What to watch out for? What can i expect? What items are needed?
What resistances are recommended? What will kill me the most?
Whats the main Uniques Bosses that can spawn or I need to kill?
Share the Knowledge ><

Morgoth, Lord of Darkness (Symbol P, Color D)
- Is found at -5000 where Angband & Mount Doom reach to.

Who attempted to kill Morgoth first and when?
Who killed Morgoth first and when?
Who was there the first time?
the_sandman
Developer

Re: I'm heading to Mount Doom ...

Post by the_sandman »

Ah, Mount Doom. Extremely worthwhile to lose a few characters here.

You can pretty much spawn all high level uniques and most high level undeads, dragons and angels. The dungeon will force you to exploit the terrains and all your resources when fighting baddies; and once it gets nasty, it gets *really* nasty.

You'll need fire imm and nether res and high damage.

You'll die to breaths, earthquakes, carelessness, traps and plain hard hitters.

The more utility you can bring with you the better (I enjoyed bringing my MA/MD mimics here). Shamans searching for gold dragonriders should come here. Sky Blade pits are a bit common, and they're actually doable here (if you're brave enough!).

I don't recall anyone ever killing Sauron here (let alone Morgoth), but I could be wrong.
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

Fire immunity, and nether resistance. ;)
Actually you should have nether resistance for all dungeons that start as deep as Angband or deeper. And for Paths of the Dead.

Kurzel went to Mt Doom to hunt Nightwalkers for mimic form afaik.

Also, I don't remember anyone choosing to kill Sauron or Morgoth there either.
blackice

Post by blackice »

It is a terrain pain dungeon. Not worth the risk imo.
Lerg

Post by Lerg »

The floor is lava. The walls are lava. You can't wraith through most of it. Luckily, most of the critters can't pass through lava walls either.
Domiano

Post by Domiano »

Now that you *must* go here, I figured some extra instructions would be nice for Sauron...
Tips for getting to Sauron:
Reasonable stealth is extra nice, since your going to be stair skumming... a lot. Its not fun to have to take a set of stairs your not comfortable with, because you just woke up monsters
A stack of 99+ magic mappings is a must (if you don't have any mapping spells)
If your using magic mapping, do not explore lvls to try to find the next >. Only leave the < if you found the next > with magic mapping.
If you don't have fire immunity, you will need at least 99 resist pots. In fact, I recommend just bringing a stack of 99 (at least) for everything you plan to use
If you are an archer, you WILL need runes of protection. A lot of them probably... You will probably need to make an arena area using wall creation wands like this:
#############
#############
#############
And then fill the middle with runes (because the regular ground cannot hold runes of protection, because it is fire)

If possible, you will want to fight Sauron in a vault, because APPARENTLY monsters can't teleport if they are inside a vault. Find a wimpy vault to clear, and set your fight up for there.

Do not underestimate Sauron. Hes crazy in Mt. Doom since you cannot run away. If possible, bring a friend to help for double DPS and sage advice along the way.

I've killed Sauron twice there now.
Rouge, 1 kill zero deaths (intercept ftw... cloaking mode down FTW)
Archer, 1 kill 3 deaths (lack of runes and wall creation for the loss. Skilled stealth for an easier way down)
tangar

Post by tangar »

the_sandman wrote:I don't recall anyone ever killing Sauron here (let alone Morgoth), but I could be wrong.
Is it possible to kill Sauron in different place? AFAIHeard you _must_ go to MtDoom, there is no way to kill Sauron in other places?... And without killing Sauron, you can't meet Morgoth?...
Tangar's tileset, addon, guides & maps: English TomeNET page ||||||| Russian TomeNet page
http://youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English // http://youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
My chars @ angband.oook.cz
tokariew

Post by tokariew »

little time ago (at least from my perspective as player) you could kill Sauron somewhere else. But this day you must kill him in Mount Doom.
And yes without killing Sauron you can't meet Morgy,

Code: Select all

-If a player who hasn't defeated Sauron yet or who has already beaten Morgoth
 enters a dungeon level where Morgoth is currently on, Morgoth will instantly
 teleport to a different dungeon level.
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
tangar

Post by tangar »

Fun :) So game is much more challenging now then before... :mrgreen: The only problem to get GoW scrolls...
Tangar's tileset, addon, guides & maps: English TomeNET page ||||||| Russian TomeNet page
http://youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English // http://youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
My chars @ angband.oook.cz