Dwarven manufacturing skill

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
Aralore

Dwarven manufacturing skill

Post by Aralore »

New skill exclusively for dwarves: Manufacture/Repair/Create Item - whatever you might want to call it.
10.000 skills - able to manufacure dwarven weapons
15.000 skills - able to create dwarven lanterns
20.000 skills - able to create dwarven hats
25.000 skills - able to create dwarven armour
30.000 skills - able to create dwarven boots
(all items would be lvl 0, not sellable to any stores and only usable by his/herself)
35.000 skills - repairing blasted armours - only armours within the blacksmith's level (items not lvl 0 after repair)
40.000 skills - Using iron spikes to create spiked heavy armours - spiked armour would basically work like an elemental aura but dealing some melee damage to anything that hits you. (Chance to mess up and lose the armour depending on basic item price)
45.000 skills - Repairing broken swords/daggers - with a chance to get random ego weapons
50.000 skills - able to make any ego item a double ego (very low chance of succeeding and always losing the item when failing)
Any other ideas/suggestions/verbal abuse welcome and anticipated
Aralore
Aralore

Re: Dwarven manufacturing skill

Post by Aralore »

On a slightly unrelated topic - maybe mining skill 30.000 should give the ability to tunnel a random up/down staircase
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

I think some kind of a crafting skill sounds pretty interesting. However, I think it shouldn't be race-specific, but some races would be able to craft race-specific items. Elves could craft Elven items etc.

It would be a massive effort to implement a general crafting skill and that's why I think if we're one day going to see a crafting skill, it'll be far in the future. Of course it would be easier to implement a race-specific crafting skill but I think that would make dwarves too special.

Of course there are other issues like balance as well, but I'm not going to start talking about those now.

Making stairs with enough points in digging sounds interesting. The skill is almost worthless right now.
Aralore

Post by Aralore »

I'm not sure how digging skill works right now, i know it should increase the chance of finding stuff under rubble and the quality of items you find. Also it enables to find more cash from quartz veins. I have always loved the skill and i have a few more ideas which might make it more interesting still. In a nutshell - the items under rubble, depending on your mining skills, are from deeper levels. Let me explain. 1 skill point in mining would generate a rubble-item from 1 levels deeper, 50 skill points in mining would enable you to haul stuff from 50 levels deeper. The stuff would be just any normal loot lying around on levels. If you are a level 50 miner with 50.000 mining skill digging rubble on -50 ft angband, the items you may find under : are from the depth -2550. Just an idea, might be bollocks. Also since moria is a mine, more rubble (about 500% more) should be found there.
Aralore
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

Aralore wrote:I'm not sure how digging skill works right now, i know it should increase the chance of finding stuff under rubble and the quality of items you find. Also it enables to find more cash from quartz veins.
You're correct.
Aralore wrote:I have always loved the skill and i have a few more ideas which might make it more interesting still. In a nutshell - the items under rubble, depending on your mining skills, are from deeper levels. Let me explain. 1 skill point in mining would generate a rubble-item from 1 levels deeper, 50 skill points in mining would enable you to haul stuff from 50 levels deeper. The stuff would be just any normal loot lying around on levels. If you are a level 50 miner with 50.000 mining skill digging rubble on -50 ft angband, the items you may find under : are from the depth -2550. Just an idea, might be bollocks.
There are other ways to make items better other than trying to generate items for a deeper level which I think isn't done anywhere in the code currently.
Aralore wrote:Also since moria is a mine, more rubble (about 500% more) should be found there.
That sounds like a good idea.
the_sandman
Developer

Post by the_sandman »

There should be forges everywhere in the world; but of course, for best results, you'd want to use that one at the bottom of Mt. Doom!

... well, after killing the Forge Guardian (with an extra chance of The Smith happening) there, obviously.

(Extend the idea to NR for scalability :p)

We need more hard-consumable items (i.e., non-potions/scrolls) other than arrows to make pouring skill points into this worthwhile; or maybe sentient items (could be statically defined: upgrades after X kills for weapons or after taking Y amount of Z-type damage for armours, etc).

Just a note, digging rubbles on Khazad-Dum is not profitable (even though it's a level 80 surface).
Aralore

Post by Aralore »

mikaelh wrote:
Making stairs with enough points in digging sounds interesting. The skill is almost worthless right now.

How about improving the skill a bit. First off, I have a miner with 32.000 mining skill and i haven't even noticed any increase in the chance of finding items compared to lvl 1. I think by mid-levels the chance should be at least 70-80%.
Secondly it's hard, god knows i've tried, to percieve any change in quality. The same flasks of oil i found in the Training Tower i find in Mordor. Throw in a few cursed weapons as well as a handful of slimemolds. Not a single ego-item yet and i have been around for a while. If not that then at least amount of money gained from quartz could be increased (perhaps with a small chance of a bonanza, something like a lottery). Hope i haven't been too whiny for your tastes.
Q: Is mining skill somehow cumulative with +luck?

Dimly the dwarf, 3rd generation miner
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

Forges and smithing skill... sounds a lot like ADOM ;)
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

Added some new digging features, mostly affecting rubble, followed by treasure veins, to test them. I actually added some more stuff than what you suggested even =)
Also, rubble should be more common in Moria now, and Moria is now called 'The Mines of Moria'.