Peace be with you, from Darwin

Discussion about topics that don't fit elsewhere.
darwin

Peace be with you, from Darwin

Post by darwin »

Peace be with you,

I started playing TomeNET sometime in 2008; until sometime in Spring last year I adventured often with Kurzel on the main server.

I wonder why there are now two sites and if the plain TOME site is still updated.

I made the TOME & TomeNET SlackBuilds so the games can be played on Slackware GNU/Linux. I wonder if I should make a 4.4.4a build or if that is an alpha. However, I do not have advanced knowledge of POSIX programming and related command line tools. The SlackBuilds team did not want to accept my TomeNET build because I have not memorized 'diff,' 'patch,' etc., some of which were necessary. I was wondering if anyone here uses Slackware and those and wants to take over the build.

Bright blessings,
David (Darwin Vanir)
mikaelh
Developer

Re: Peace be with you, from Darwin

Post by mikaelh »

darwin wrote:I wonder why there are now two sites and if the plain TOME site is still updated.
There are two sites because we got tired of the old outdated TomeNET site. TomeNET and ToME are different games so we wanted to make our own site. I think there are some people still working on ToME but I don't know when they'll get around to updating the site.
darwin wrote:I made the TOME & TomeNET SlackBuilds so the games can be played on Slackware GNU/Linux. I wonder if I should make a 4.4.4a build or if that is an alpha. However, I do not have advanced knowledge of POSIX programming and related command line tools. The SlackBuilds team did not want to accept my TomeNET build because I have not memorized 'diff,' 'patch,' etc., some of which were necessary. I was wondering if anyone here uses Slackware and those and wants to take over the build.
4.4.4a is not an alpha version. The 'a' only indicates that it's a small update over 4.4.4. I don't personally use Slackware so I don't really want to take over the build. I don't know what kind of a reception the first slackbuild got, but updating it shouldn't be too difficult.
darwin

Post by darwin »

Actually I had forgotten what happened. I made the TOME SlackBuild first, which had to have the Makefile patched, then I made the TomeNET one, which worked fine as it is, but then the SlackBuilds team did not want me to maintain the TomeNET one because the TOME one had had a problem... so I will have to go to the TOME forum and mention their Makefile.
C. Blue
Developer

Post by C. Blue »

darwin wrote:...the SlackBuilds team did not want me to maintain the TomeNET one because the TOME one had had a problem...
Tome and Tomenet are very different games with different source code too, they cannot be compared just because the names are similar.
Silvermoon

Post by Silvermoon »

To that end, have you ever considered renaming the project? Not that the current name bothers me, but it does seem to cause a lot of confusion for people.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

Yes, we have considered renaming the project. In the past the problem has been that we haven't been able to come with a good new name.
darwin

Post by darwin »

C. Blue wrote:
darwin wrote:...the SlackBuilds team did not want me to maintain the TomeNET one because the TOME one had had a problem...
Tome and Tomenet are very different games with different source code too, they cannot be compared just because the names are similar.
It only had to do with if I had the ability to maintain more than one build.