[stats] Deaths: the more the merrier!

Discussion about topics that don't fit elsewhere.
the_sandman
Developer

[stats] Deaths: the more the merrier!

Post by the_sandman »

I was wondering how many attempts it usually takes before someone manages their first Morgoth kill.

First and foremost, the data used here dates back from June 2005, from everlasting, normal and unworldly characters for each *account*, including party kills (everyone in party gets equal credit). Sample size is good. There are people who have been playing before that, of course, and they do muddy the figures a bit. That shouldn't stop us from counting the fun, though!

I.e., there are 3 people who have died 20-39 times (across one or more characters) before slaying Morgoth for the first time. Click image for larger version, or go here.

So the "average" number of deaths before first Morgoth kill? It is 221 deaths.

Mine is worse than average at 291 deaths and that's only because the data started at 2005. I started playing at 2002? 2003? So realistically, the number should be even higher :D

If you want to know your personal numbers (and if you want to dispute it, etc. :D) send me a message!

I like that chart, but wait! There's more!

# of deaths between the first and second kill:

... the third kill:

... and the fourth:

In all these charts, there are a few factors here that needs to be considered:
- not everyone keep persistent houses,
- not everyone "farms" Morgoth (see footnotes),
- not everyone beelines to Morgoth,
- some players stop after a king or two,
- and some prioritize different things in their gameplay at different times (IDDC, switching mode from EL -> UW)

Overall, though, for those who prioritize kinging, I would still interpret the trend to be "bunching" to the left. So killing Morgoth becomes more reliable and less dangerous after you've done it once (duh!).

Morgoth is one of the many milestones in this game. The same philosophy applies to reaching level X, or killing Ancalagon, getting the GWoP form, clearing Death Orb pits, and so on. The more you die, the better the next time will be!

TL;DR: die more; get better.

-------
- The first chart contains high number of "fast" kills due to the amount of experienced people that were already in the game at the time (some are still around ;))
- There are 12 people who have only killed Morgoth once (congrats!); 11 people has 2 kills.
- One of our longest players did die 2200+ times before their first Morgoth kill. Their second attempt only took 12 deaths.
tangar

Re: [stats] Deaths: the more the merrier!

Post by tangar »

Interesting statistics :) Its also interesting to know how much people die before they kill their first nazgul (Uvatha the Horseman) %)
Tangar's tileset, addon, guides & maps: English TomeNET page ||||||| Russian TomeNet page
http://youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English // http://youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
My chars @ angband.oook.cz
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

So two people killed Morgoth on their first try. Impressive...

" One of our longest players did die 2200+ times before their first Morgoth kill" Still wondering who this is...
Zeliwin

Post by Zeliwin »

I'm curious about me back in the day. What's my stats?
the_sandman
Developer

Post by the_sandman »

Zeliwin wrote:I'm curious about me back in the day. What's my stats?
About 200 deaths total :D
Zeliwin

Post by Zeliwin »

Glad to hear I'm normal!
Daonar

Post by Daonar »

Can we get a account statistic on website? With chars, races, lvls, deathes, dates, etc.
I like look on statistic tables.
the_sandman
Developer

Post by the_sandman »

Ah, I think not to the level of character names since I don't want everyone's play and progress to become known. Normalized/farmed stats are OK, though, and I can give your own personal details privately or general/rough numbers if you ask here.
Daonar

Post by Daonar »

And can i get my own statistic?
the_sandman
Developer

Post by the_sandman »

Daonar wrote:And can i get my own statistic?
250+ deaths. GJ!