Share your strategies here.
mxb2001

Function Key setup

Post by mxb2001 »

1 fire missiile
2 aim wand a1
3 throw v1
4 manathrust or other damage spell
5 drink q3 (heroism/berserk strength/speed)
6 read r1 (blessing/holy chant/confuse monster)
7/8 blank for class specials maybe
9 use staff u1
10 zap rod z1
11/12 blank for class specials maybe

I wonder if F3 for throw bad potions is a waste though. Does anyone do that at higher levels? I've only gotten to about 20.
--
01/01/01
Nazgarn

Re: Function Key setup

Post by Nazgarn »

This is my layout for my archer, Havoc:

F1: Fire Arrow
F2: Teleport Scroll
F2+Shift: Resistance Potion
F3 Healing Potion
F3+Shift: Speed Potion
F4 Identify
F4+Shift: Phase Door Scroll
F5 Swap Ring or Amulet for Teleportation
F11: Illumination Rod
F11+Shift:Disarm Trap Scroll
F12: Magic Mapping Scroll
F12+Shift:Detect Traps Rod
F12+Ctrl: Destroy Uninscribed Items

So yeah, no throw potions as I use my arrows, he's level 36. Btw I've never thrown potions except maybe once or twice for laughs.
[Ev3rmoe] nvm ill be fine
**Mage Ev3rmoe's (47) ghost was destroyed by an Ethereal hound.**
[Anon] famous last words.
Raxxster

Post by Raxxster »

F1 Heal pot, Shift-F1 Heal self, Ctrl-F1 Cleansing cloud (priest exclusive)
F2 Res pot, Shift-F2 Resistance spell (or activate lordly res cloak rarely)
F3 Phase / Tele 1, Shift-F3 Random support spell
F4 Tele 2, Shift-F4 Random support spell
F5 Speed pot, Shift-F5 Haste self spell (EoS, form, activation etc..), Ctrl-F5 switch mimicry to fire imm
F6 Mana pot (need to rework on this one), Ctrl-F6 switch to cold imm
Ctrl-F7 Switch to elec imm
Ctrl-F8 Switch to acid imm
Ctrl-F9 Switch to pois imm

Shift-F12 Exit game :)

I haven't been using F7-F12 lately as those are difficult to reach with left hand while holding pinky finger on shift. In tough fights might even hit F6 with right hand to quaff mana potion (which needs reworking for this reason).
In the past I've had forms in F9-F11 but switched them to ctrl-z - ctrl-v for reachability. F12 used to type :/rec\s a long time. Mainly using keys around wasd these days. Probably adding :/dis a to some shift/ctrl and late F-key combo soon.
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

They are highly personal I guess. Also I now no longer try to use one for all classes. That was simply hopeless. I'd hoped I could avoid having to relearn the setup for each class but forget it. Impossible. Now I spend several minutes at the start of a session to learn which keys I've setup to do what for each class.

In general though my new approach is to setup F1-4 as monster affecting abilities (i.e. ranged) F5-8 as self affecting abilities and F9-12 for misc. utilities (as you say the right hand ones are harder to reach - I'd worked that out decades ago with my MUD clients :-)

Latest change is I'm using chained macros to both quaff and read booster potion/scroll with just one key (often F5). Realized that there was no reason to use them seperately. May add staves and rods too when I learn which ones are common and useful.

One annoyance is that as levels rise (my 1 lifers are all now between 16-20) some classes really have to change. Druid is very irritating as the forms pretty much spell each other as new ones come in. The old ones are mostly obsolete. When my Druid dies though I'll have to remake the keys for a level 1 Druid. Argh!
--
01/01/01
Raxxster

Post by Raxxster »

mxb2001 wrote: Druid is very irritating as the forms pretty much spell each other as new ones come in. The old ones are mostly obsolete. When my Druid dies though I'll have to remake the keys for a level 1 Druid. Argh!
Before changing your level-1 macros, save them to Druid-1.prf file for example. Then just load Druid-1.prf file and save it to your charname.prf.

I think I use global.prf file for F1-F4 and shift-F9 (toggle big-map mode due to bug), shift-F12 (exit game) keys for function-related keys... And other global macros are only W (shoot), tab (detect), numpad+ (tele).