I want to play a Ranged ...

Share your strategies here.
Archma

I want to play a Ranged ...

Post by Archma »

Bourn and bred to run. No way will you get close to me ... nar.. nnar na rna ... oops forgot my free action ring.

If someone wanted to make a ranged/throw/magic device character what would be a good choice ?
What should we NOT do !!! What is recommended ? What is your favourite build ?
Share the Knowledge ><
Moltor
Developer

Re: I want to play a Ranged ...

Post by Moltor »

I like dwarf archers. Str, con, hp, and no crazy xp penalty is what's important. Dex and the race bows/throw thing don't matter much if you're skilling archery stuff. Though I've heard the bows/throw matters a lot for people who use ranged weaps without skilling them.

I recommend bows. Bows get an extra shot every 12.5 skill points, while xbows get moar might & a shot every 25. This means an xbow archer will be weaker than a same-leveled bow archer for long stretches of levels. The xbower catches up at 25 & 50 skill, and is a bit stronger at 50 I think. But if you're not going to reach lvl 48, you should go with bows.

Fire till kill mode is nice. Your firing stops when you do something else so it won't endanger you any.

I max archery, bow, sneak, and calmness. Calmness is the least important. I also get 9 necro first, thats's fun at low lvls.

I think lots of people overvalue junk armor. You shouldn't let stuff melee you very much as an archer, so armor that gives AC only usually isn't worth the cost and weight. If your armor weight takes away 1 speed sometimes, that hurts you much moar than a bit moar AC helps. Just carry shitloads of phase door scrolls. Like 75.

*tf- is a good shooting macro to use. I use W to shoot. Easy to hold down while running with teh left shift.
Raxxster

Re: I want to play a Ranged ...

Post by Raxxster »

I like hobbit slingers. Beware of low hp though; skill health. It's fun as you get lots of shots per rounds and low xp penalty, and ricochet is pretty fun. Also make ammo from rubbles you find. Some of the ammo you make is sellable to shops. Early on try to get high infravision, rod of illumination and esp_evil. Later on buy some glyph scrolls (rune of protection), so you can keep some range to harder mobs and dont get summoned on. At very high level you want to get some randart ammo.

I dont skill sneakiness with them, health+necromancy instead. You can buy a ring of speed as non-everlast pretty cheaply. You can skip calmness, if you dont plan to shoot mobs in melee range or better party with some meatshield.

Always max one shooting skill (slings, bows, xbows) and archery. Put rest skills to calmness/health/combat/necromancy/MD/stealth as you see fit. Maxing combat isnt bad idea, so you can wear DSM or other nice heavy armor without penalties. Wielding a shield hurts rhit a lot, but if you find a good shield with lot of resistances or even ESP, I'd wield it. Slaying gloves with high +hit helps a bunch.