I want to play a Changer ...

Share your strategies here.
Archma

I want to play a Changer ...

Post by Archma »

Poof !!! omg how did i change into a vampire half-yeek shim with an ability to drop all weapons ?

If someone wanted to make a changer/mimic character what would be a good choice ?
What should we NOT do !!! What is recommended ? What is your favourite build ?
Share the Knowledge ><
Argle

Re: I want to play a Changer ...

Post by Argle »

Druids are a nice intro to shifting because you don't have to 'learn' the forms but killing X number of them. However, this also means your choice of forms is sonewhat limited. They also let you use all your gear, which mimics and Shamans can't always rely on when shifting.

Druids also get a nice bonus to Martial Arts, and a small set of spells. No necromancy schools.

Shamans get the Necromancy school as well as every other school of magic to choose from. They have to hunt their forms like a mimic, get full gear access in certain forms that as mimic wouldn't, but are limited in the forms they can choose. No humanoids, no demons, or undead. I think. They are an excellent hybrid class, but the sheer number of options of magic schools can be daunting.

Mimics get no magic, must hunt their forms, get access to all forms, but are limited by the physical form of the target creature. This means turning into a bat unequips everything but your cloak, hat , rings, and amulet. Mimics are fun, but require good knowledge of what forms offer what bonuses, and require you to hunt them down in order to learn them as the class has no inherent abilities beyond shapeshifting.

Ents make good shifters because they sense Animals early on, which helps you hunt down many of the early utility forms you'll want. They are also super strong, which is of great value to a mimic who must rely on their fists in most forms.
PowerWyrm

Post by PowerWyrm »

If you plan on playing a mimic, you need to be willing spending all your time on hunting forms. This is the main drawback of mimics. The first good form you will get is Green Dragonrider. You need to kill 30 of them, which will take you somewhere near 10 hours of continuous play... Don't forget to get a form with immunity to fire first. If you're using MA, the easiest way is to get fire hound. Otherwise go for fire giant.
the_sandman
Developer

Post by the_sandman »

PowerWyrm wrote:near 10 hours of continuous play...

Oh, you. I've gotten these (solo) in a few hours before, although, yes, they appear quite randomly (wear an item that lets you sense dragon; dwarven helmet is fantastic for this).

Alternatively, go the undead route. Grab FA, poison, nexus and nether resists and venture out to the Paths of the Dead. Beware though, this place is nasty and you'll probably get killed a few times before getting the hang of it. It has a very different atmosphere to the Orc Caves and Gondolin. Undead ESP is almost mandatory.

The undead route I usually like to take is Bloodletter of Khrone -> Death Quasit -> Vampire Lord -> Elder Vampire -> Osyluth (Note that all these forms have FULL equipments)

From there you can practically kill Morgoth with Osyluth form, or hang around some more and get your final forms (Greater Balrog/Horned Reaper/Nightwalker/Hru/etc.).

It's the general consensus that weapon mimic is superior to the martial artist mimic. So pick a weapon type, max combat and weaponmastery as your core. You can pick up sneakiness (speed), Magic Device (utility or general pew pew), health (not optimal), interception (2-h), etc.. with your left over points. Don't forget to invest in some mimicry, of course.
valuial

Post by valuial »

I've just started myself, and the expression "early utility forms" certainly needs some explanation.
So far I've found:
[spoiler]
Novice Mages for some pew pew, if you don't have anything on yourself.
Feline forms for the Dex-Bonus and good-ESP.
Novice Priest for shopping (as they are Good they give a small Chr bonus)
Spiders for mountain walking.
[/spoiler]

All of these are available in the Training Tower.
But this list is by FAR not complete...

PS: Some spoiler-tag support for the forums would be nice, so ppl can read these posts without being spoilt too much.