Magic Device

Gameplay related issues.
darkie

Magic Device

Post by darkie »

Questions about MD-useage.

I skilled like 30 MD, rod of fire bolts increased damaged from low damage to 200-260 damage per zap.
I tried to use wands, like wand of lightning, wand of magic missiles, both doing less than 30 damage per useage (vs townies).

Seems like MD-skill doesnt affect wands? I think wands should do same, if not even more damage than rods, since charges are limited.

Moreover, i think it would be a fair boost for MD to gain at a certain skill lvl "auto-id" for rods, wands and staves. Especially because its a waste of turns to recharge a staff/wand and having to read a scroll of identify afterwards to see how many charges the item has.

And at the end, it would be brilliant, if stacks of rods wont unstack when being used.

Would be nice to have:

t) 10 Cast Iron Rods of Lightning Balls {+20} (3 charging) - or (3 of 10 charging)
darkie

Re: Magic Device

Post by darkie »

moreover, looks like items (eq) activation doesn't seem to reduce recharging time with higher MD skill?
Argle

Post by Argle »

Interesting. MD definitely seemed to have an effect on wand damage in tests, perhaps they're just capped a lot lower than rods?

Was talking about this at lunch with a fellow TNer who was checking out their source code, it sounds like recharge rate and damage are a linear function of skill where 50 skill allows for 50% recharge time. He also mentioned items seemed nearly identical but were handled separately (in the source), but he only glanced at them. Planned to give them all a hard look this evening, I'll let you know if I find anything useful regarding MD and items.
Argle

Post by Argle »

Weird, looks like Lordly cloaks of resistance are the only item that applies MD to recharge. Also noticed that not only does max MD halve the recharge period, it also contributes to (along with racial and class boni to magic device usage) the recharge rate. I didn't expect that, but it explains why my priest's rods seem to recharge faster than others without having put any points in MD.

In general, I noticed that Items recharge much slower than rods (most rods under 50, most items well over 100), it could be over powered if they offered a percentage based reduction, and it might be pointless to shave a couple of seconds off; which is functionally all it does for most rods. This might make sense from a balance stand point, have you noticed if item abilities tend to be more powerful than rods? I've never paid them much attention.