Server (windows)/admin account creation trouble

Discussion about topics that don't fit elsewhere.
fbas

Server (windows)/admin account creation trouble

Post by fbas »

Running server and client 4.4.5h (both downloaded from http://koti.mbnet.fi/mikaelh/tomenet/downloads.php, prebuilt binaries), on windows XP Pro 2002, sp2. on a dell laptop.

Server runs fine. Client connects fine to 127.0.0.1. I create initial account, it seems to work fine, creating admin account on level 99, maxed stats, is a ghost, etc. Logging out with ctrl-x (is there another way? better way?)

After I log out and try to run the client again, using the same username and password as the account created above, no characters exist to choose from - it thinks it's a new account? When I try to create a (new) character, I get the "Multiple Logins on the same account aren't allowed" error and get booted out. Also to note, I get the same result (able to "log in") with any account name and password I try but get told multiple logins not allowed.

On shutting down the server and restarting it, server hangs on "Starting account inactivity check.."

Any help?

[windows console window running server says "TomeNET 4.4.5.10 Aug 1 2010" but then "Server is running version 445a"? and "TomeNET server - v4.4.4" I'm assuming these are not an issue ]
tokariew

Re: Server (windows)/admin account creation trouble

Post by tokariew »

do you have file accedit.*?
if you have run it. you will see account settings, choose dungeon master by pressing "n", and after "m". M allow multilogin. at next "q". when the accedit is close, it will ask about save, choose "y"
if you don't have accedit, restart both server and client, try to create new character with the same name as first
img {
max-width: 100%;
}
https://tokariew.xyz
fbas

Post by fbas »

I don't have accedit. Is that part of the cygwin install? I did not install cygwin. It sounded like it was optional. If not, maybe that's the problem?
fbas

Post by fbas »

UPDATE:

I'm fine as long as I don't create player on admin account. Once I do, if I log into the game, I'm hosed.

I was able to create non-admin account and player and log in and out without getting the error. However, once I logged in with the admin account and created a player and joined the game, I get the same error "multiple logins" blah blah blah.

AND THIS SURPRISED ME. When I log in with the player account, the admin character as well as the non-admin character is available (though I can't join the game, because either way I get the "multiple login" error). When I log into the admin password, no player characters are listed, and I'm unable to create one due to the "multiple login" error.

So the system seems to 1) associate all player characters with either the client program or the ip address, rather than the acct name/password? and 2) the admin character does not get logged out properly - the game thinks he's still in there?

Anyone?
fbas

account file blows up

Post by fbas »

Another issue I had:

I left the server running for a while (after creating a single user account, no admin account). and a few days later the account file had grown to 35 Gigs. the server kept appending junk to it or something.

I guess I'll give up on the idea of running my own server on windows and just play one of the regular servers.
Silvermoon

Post by Silvermoon »

More details, after fiddling with it ...

Upon creating a server, the server operates as normal until the first account (admin account) is created. Once the admin account is created, shutting down the server causes the following events:

First server start: Hang on account inactivity check. This hang is accompanied with a massive bloating of the tomenet.acc file -- on my machine (3.4Ghz core), the file ballooned in size to nearly 200 MB in a matter of about 15 seconds. The process is still responsive, and can be terminated with Ctrl-C x5.

Second and subsequent server starts: Right after Starting account inactivity check

Received signal 11. - followed by a panic save and termination of the server.

If tomenet.acc file is deleted, the next server start reverts to the first server start behavior, which remains on subsequent startups. The only way to get the server to run at all again is to delete both tomenet.acc and the server saves, which essentially is useless, as the whole process repeats itself.

At all times, if it gets past the account inactivity check, anyone attempting to log in gets kicked. The first error in the server log looks like any timeout of a player and occurs at player logon -- subsequent login attempts are met with the multiple logins not permitted issue.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

Thank you for such a detailed description. I have fixed the infinitely growing account file issue now. However, I'm still investigating some crashes.
Silvermoon

Post by Silvermoon »

I appreciate it. I look forward to seeing the next version Windows server compile. TomeNET is one of my favorite games, but the official server just is too laggy for me.
Silvermoon

Post by Silvermoon »

Interesting. Fiddling with things more, I've discovered that the server can be rendered playable simply by NEVER CREATING A CHARACTER on the admin account. Of course, this makes validation a pain in the ass. But the server functions just fine until a character is made on the admin account. Once a character is made on the admin account, logging in with one of my non-admin accounts listed every character created so far on ANY account, but would generate the multiple-logins error if you attempted to log in. Creating a NEW character hangs the server at that point. After suiciding the admin character, some accounts were able to see the correct character names and were able to log in, but race and class were reset to Human Warrior with base stats. Presumably level 1 and no skills, as well, but I didn't test that far.

Of course, restarting the server still hangs at the account inactivity check and repeats the prior behaviors regardless.
mikaelh
Developer

Post by mikaelh »

I finished fixing things. Windows server for 4.4.6a is here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/mikaelh/tomenet/do ... server.zip