I want to play an elf

Share your strategies here.
darwin

I want to play an elf

Post by darwin »

I want to play an elf, as in the basic Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) class, which elves are fighters/magicians (a.k.a. rangers in Moria/Angband/ToME)... I'd probably prefer a high-elf (or even maia considered to incarnate in elf form) because I like more benefits/powers even with slower experience. I only ever got to character level 20 in Moria and similar older Angband so am an intermediate, not advanced player.
        My priorities are (1) bow, (2) magic, (3) melee. As a basic through Advanced D&D (AD&D) player who didn't use magic disciplines/schools, I don't favour any of those but was told I will need magelock 2, which I know is like rune of protection in Moria but I never got that far.
        This Autumn was the first time I got much past level (l) 20 in TomeNet or any roguelike, to l36, and was told I should've reset skills (which is bad there's only one chance at l35) or I'd fail because I didn't do a (correct) 'build' which as a basic D&D player is a foreign concept more like newer roleplaying games I didn't play. So, what 'build' should I do for this order of priority and magelock 2? I did like the variety of spells rangers got in Moria--all magician ones except the last one, but I guess I can't spread out points in all magic schools like that. :\ I prefer to also be decent at melee, but Angband/ToME weapons can be more powerful than in Moria, so apparently isn't a major issue after higher priorities.
        I usually did most skills, including interception, except not weaponless martial arts nor runecrafting, so I could have decent health & sneakiness subskills (though I don't understand/use trapping yet) which raise their higher category skills.
        When I restart my main character, then second/homeowner character, I'd like to have one maia (and maybe one high-elf) which I'm also considering a magician/istari (likely good as maia) but never played one much. After that I might add an elf (not necessarily high-elf) thief/rogue but don't think I'll ever use many character slots. I guess I should ask about the magician and rogue in new posts... though there's also the question which of elf & high-elf are better for ranger and rogue. I like the idea of high-elves more but apparently they don't get bow bonus plain elves do? Maybe other benefits make up for that for rangers, like higher statistics?
        I was told to maximize archery and the magic school that has magelock 2 by l48... guess if I ever win to get to game part 2I can do other skills? So what does a complete build for a (high-)elf/ranger look like?