Monsters in Sight Window

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
FailWStyle

Monsters in Sight Window

Post by FailWStyle »

What's up, I've been playing TomeNET for awhile and have been amazed at the concept for quite awhile. Despite some frustrations involving the relatively quick pace of the real time pacing, I have had great fun with this game. However, I might have a suggestion that may help ease the pain of dying to an Ancient Red Dragon nearly instantly when you're ill equipped for it.

I've observed from another roguelike game, Incursion at http://www.incursion-roguelike.net, a small window of text in the lower right corner of the main window that states all objects in view. I would think that, in the case of a fast-paced situation like in TomeNET, one would need to gain as much information as possible as quickly as possible before they're caught by a threat much bigger than themselves and (probably) eliminated.

I was thinking maybe another (smaller) window could be implemented that shows the character, color, name and level of all monsters in sight in a list, same as how you would (l)ook at a monster, only faster, so that the player can make a quicker judgment on whether to use a scroll/staff of teleport and get the hell out of there. I don't believe this would give any players an unfair advantage, as I'm sure other players have an unfair advantage already by memorizing the monster's characters and colors from the spoiler files and recognizing them on sight, and It would certainly reduce the pain of (potentially) losing all their inventory and (definitely) losing experience when they knew that the said threat was going to tear their head off at level 50 when they were only at level 30.

In all honesty I'm just venting out a lot of frustration I had myself when I would see a unique/leveled mob a bit away, have it run up/teleport to me extremely quick, and before I know it, I'm dead before I even knew what hit me. Perhaps with a feature like that, I would recognize the threat quicker and instead of drinking CCW potions in a panicked hope of beating it, I would teleport away and recall out of there or at least have more time to re-evaluate the situation, look up the monster's abilities, then properly take it down.