Music of the Ainur addition

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
Anon

Music of the Ainur addition

Post by Anon »

Just had an idea that I'm sure has been mentioned before, but I wanted to officially open a topic to discuss the ups and downs of it.

Seeing as how TomeNET is based most heavily on the Silmarillion, and that a lot of the subject matter in the Silmarillion had to do with the Music of the Ainur, I was thinking we could incorporate artifact musical instruments as accessories to go in the (m) slot. The Music of the Ainur was the original reason that Melkor "Morgoth" exists in his current state as an outcast from the rest of the Ainur "before he committed multiple counts of genocide". There aren't any more than 5 "I can't remember the exact number" of art accessories and you can't art them yourself, so this could add a little more depth in that area.

A few ideas would be:

Horn of Gondor: Adds strength, dexterity and constitution "all fighter class necessities" and when activated, it gives an aura of fear around the user for a certain amount of time, or it just makes everything in sight afraid.

Trumpet of Manwe: Since Manwe is the Valar of Air and nature, as well as the leader of all the Valar, this could buff a lot of different stats, AC, tohit, todam, etc etc, and give immunity to Electricity "or all base elements" for a period of time, or even give the user a strong aura of fear when activated.

The Harp of Este: She's the mistress of healing. So this could even be a +life artifact that activates for heavy regen or curing. Possibly giving a sleep effect on monsters in sight.

The Viol of Yavanna: She's the Earth mother. Could add stats, give climbing ability, add AC, effect digging skill, activate for earthquake, stone to mud, or even destruction. Anything, you know?

There are a lot of possibilities just with the Music of the Ainur alone. There are 14 Valar, each with their own unique instrument. On top of that, there are things like the Horn of Gondor that humanoids use.

This is just an idea. Feedback, please!
Last edited by Anon on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cornelius

Re: Music of the Ainur addition

Post by Cornelius »

Just curious since I never read the Silmarillion, but it seems to me that all the musical instruments should probably have a stealth penalty. Also, would you be able to find/art randart instruments as well?
Anon

Re: Music of the Ainur addition

Post by Anon »

I dunno about a stealth penalty, seeing as how they're not constantly being played. I could see monsters being awakened after activating/playing the actual instrument. That would make sense. But a stealth penalty seems kind of silly.

I don't think randart instruments or the ability to create art instruments would be even remotely feasible without a full "Bard" class. Mostly because the coding would only consist of the specified artifacts. There wouldn't be instruments just laying around unless they were created for another purpose; like a bard class.