How Does Item Ownership Work Exactly?

Gameplay related issues.
FinalCheetah

How Does Item Ownership Work Exactly?

Post by FinalCheetah »

How does item ownership work? Like I get that items are owned once you pick them up. (And it gets a + next to the item level) But can item owners change? How do I actually trade something with one of my party members? I picked up a sword the other day with a decent enchant and dropped it for my party member to use. (He's a warrior, I'm an Istar) Only he couldn't use it at all.

Looked for information in the guide but information is very scarce. Is there an option in the server config file that I could use to turn it off, or is there a way of trading that I am unaware of?
Sirioh

Re: How Does Item Ownership Work Exactly?

Post by Sirioh »

As far as I understand, ownership only changes if the person picking up the item is higher level than the required level of the item. For example, if that sword of yours was {+,10} but your warrior friend was only level 9, he could pick it up but not use it because he doesn't own it.

And there are also restrictions between everliving and non-EL characters, but I presume that's not applicable in this case.

Section 4.2 of the guide details ownership and level restrictions:
e) a Long Sword {+,6} (2d5) (+1,+5)

-Now if you're the owner of the sword then you are able to use it even if your
level is lower than 6 !

-If you give this sword to someone else who is level 4
that person won't be able to use it because he's not the owner.

-If you give the sword to someone who is level 6 or higher, he will become the
new owner! Now you're unable to use the sword if you're level 5 and he gives
it back to you.

-To the owner an item has the '+' sign displayed in its name. Every other
player who looks at the item sees the owner's name instead. Example:
If you drop the sword to the ground and 'l'ook at it, you'll still see this:
FinalCheetah

Re: How Does Item Ownership Work Exactly?

Post by FinalCheetah »

Sirioh wrote:As far as I understand, ownership only changes if the person picking up the item is higher level than the required level of the item. For example, if that sword of yours was {+,10} but your warrior friend was only level 9, he could pick it up but not use it because he doesn't own it.
Ah thanks, that was indeed the problem. I guess I'll have to be careful in picking up items I can't use very well, though how was I to know it was an randart :p