Boomerang Rework and alternative

Ideas for cool stuff in the future.
Unmouseable

Boomerang Rework and alternative

Post by Unmouseable »

Hello, i have been meaning to do a comparison of ranged weapons for a while now.

I like boomerangs a lot, they sound cool when you throw them and well they are boomerangs :)

Anyways i collected an assortment of max damage ranged weapons to compare them all.
Its a bit long sorry,

The damage shown is per shot or per throw.

Acidic Boomerang of Power
Resistant- 46
susceptible- 58
Normal- 36

The listed slay and brand modifiers for boomerangs are actually less than ranged modifiers, and much less than melee.

Non Resist Multiplier is only 1.28
Susceptible Multiplier is only 1.62

Max Boomerang Skill Acidic Boomerang of Power

Non Resistant- 78.08
Susceptible- 98.82
Normal 61

So with a max damage and Velocity (Extra shot) Boomerang, with maximum boomerang skill you would get a total of 5 throws and do the following damage

Non Resistant- 394
Susceptible- 491
Normal- 305

Here is a list of damage with Maxed out ranged weapons with 2 shots a round zero skillpoints and unenchanted magic ammo

Sling - 192
Shortbow- 195
Longbow- 260
Crossbow- 330

So a Heavy crossbow with the lowest damage ammo available, and 0 skill actually does more damage.

All of the following are based on 1 shot, although most good ego Bows, Slings and Crossbows will have 2 shots per round.

Sling ego x3

Magic Shot-96

Mithral Fire Shot +15 Damage

Non Resist- 214.2
Susceptible- 336..6
Normal- 153

Slays +15 Mithral Shot
Kill Undead- 275.4

Short Bow ego x3

Magic Arrow-97.5

Seeker Arrow of Flame +15 Damage

Non Resist- 220.5
Susceptible- 346.5
Normal- 157.5

Slays +15 Seeker Arrow
Kill Undead- 283.5

Long Bow ego x4

Magic Arrow- 130

Seeker Arrow of Flame +15 Damage

Non Resist- 294
Susceptible- 462
Normal- 210

Slays +15 Seeker Arrow
Kill Undead- 378

Light Crossbow ego x4

Magic Bolt- 132

Seeker Flame Bolt +15 Damage

Non Resist- 302.4
Susceptible- 475.2
Normal- 216

Slays +15 Seeker Bolt
Kill Undead- 388.8

Heavy Crossbow ego x5

Magic Bolt- 165

Seeker Bolt of Flame +15 Damage

Non Resist- 378
Susceptible- 594
Normal- 270

Slays +15 Seeker Bolt

Kill Undead- 486

Now i understand that the boomerang skill modifier is better than most of the other skills, but if you take the amount of skillpoints you would have used to max boomerang and put them into the other skills you get the following

Warrior
Boomerang 100 points=50
Sling- 100 points 30 =3 Extra Shots
Bow 100 points 35 =2 Extra Shots
Crossbow-100 points 35 =Extra Shot, Extra Might

Rogue
Boomerang 50
Sling 37.8 =3 extra shots, with 5 more points 4 extra shots
Bow 29.4 =2 extra shots
Crossbow 29.4 =Extra shot Extra Might

Mimic
Boomerang 50
Sling 35 =3 extra shots
Bow 25 =2 extra shots
Crossbow 25 = Extra shot Extra Might

Ranger
Boomerang 50
Sling 37.8 =3 extra shots with 5 more points 4 extra shots
Bow 38.8 = 3 Extra shots
Crossbow 37.8 =Extra shot x2 extra might

Adventurer
Boomerang 50
Sling 25.5 = 2 Extra Shots
Bow 24.5 =1 Extra shot, 2 skillpoints more for 3
Crossbow 24.5 = Extra might 1 Extra shot, 2 skillpoints more for 3

Druid
Boomerang 50
Sling 42.9 =4 Extra Shots
Bow 35.75 =2 Extra Shots 7 more skillpoints for 3
Crossbow 35.75 =Extra Shot, extra might 7 more points for x2 extra might

Mindcrafter
Boomerang 50
Sling 25.5 =2 Extra Shots
Crossbow 29.4 =Extra shots extra might

Here is the damage a x5 ego Crossbow does with Extra Might skill making it do x6 damage

Heavy Crossbow ego+extra might x6

Magic Bolt- 198

Seeker Bolt of Flame +15

Non Resist- 453.6
Susceptible- 712.8
Normal- 324

Slays +15 Seeker Bolt

Kill Undead- 583.2

My Artifact Boomerang collection

22 alltogether

6 With Velocity (Extra Shot)

One with 22 damage 3 with 21 damage, and 1 that i traded with another player that has 30 with no extra shot.

So velocity is quite rare and high damage as well.

As you can see even with a Maxed Weapon of extra shots and Maxed boomerang skill with 5 shots a round, a lot of the other weapons with zero skill and base ammo do comparable damage. The Heavy crossbow actually does more damage.

Once you add in ego ammo the damage a boomerang does is not even remotely close to the other weapons.

A few ideas to make them actually useful.

1. my favorite and one i suggested in game is make them all vorpal, it makes sense that boomerangs have a chance to cut and this would add dome pretty nice damage.

2. Don`t know if this is possible but give each throw a 50% chance to hit twice, one on way out one on way back.

3. Add melee damage to ranged damage, you are throwing it and a hard throw=more damage.

4. Add a ranged Multiplier to them.

5. Add more damage per skillpoint (most Boring imo)

6. A chance for negative status ailments- Confuse, Blind, stun, paralyze, slow, Poison.

7. Another one i like, give brands and or slays the ability to do damage over time. So a poison branded boomerang would poison its target for a percentage of its damage.

Now i realize that 99% of everyone that use boomerangs only use them for the stats and resists, so here is an alternative that i think sounds really cool.

Have some actual caster and interesting gear that make sense to just be a buffing implement.

Such as

Orbs
Wands
Fetishes
Shrunken heads
Focus

Now with some more interesting offhands how about adding some activatable powers and keep them separate from the magic device skill.

Say Activating the Eye of Vecna causes a massive disintegrate spell centered on the caster and has a cooldown but no failrate.

or just an orb of fire that casts fireball with a small cooldown and no failrate.

Or even items with no cooldown like an focus that casts firebolt and can be set to autofire.

I believe all of these would be a lot more fun and interesting than a piece of wood you use to give you a resist or 3 strength.

Sorry for the long post, and if you are still here thanks for reading :)
tangar

Re: Boomerang Rework and alternative

Post by tangar »

As archer 48 lvl I would comment a bit:

1) Its pretty rare for archer to use +15 damage arrows. Only VS hard bosses, but its also quite _uncomfortably_. For example you got 30 +15 arrows. One round I shoot 6 arrows. So 30 arrows would 'end' after 5 rounds. And 5 rounds its nothing when you fight something with reflect (many different guys; also sauron, morgy).

So even VS bosses in most cases ppl just using magic arrows; and if they are lucky - art arrows. The best art arrow which archer using in most case: +5 dmg from art Bard's arrow.

Another disadvantage of +15 projectiles - you need to gather them. And they break, even ethereal :)

2) Don't forget that boomerang works very good with MA users. Its part of this skill balancing.

3) NOT SURE: I don't know, but maybe boomerangs works better VS reflect monsters? Reflect is a pain (wanna remind about sauron and morgy again) and if so - its major advantage. If not - maybe it could be impelemted? Quite powerful advantage VS shooters :)
Tangar's tileset, addon, guides & maps: English TomeNET page ||||||| Russian TomeNet page
http://youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English // http://youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
My chars @ angband.oook.cz
Lightman

Re: Boomerang Rework and alternative

Post by Lightman »

My experience with boomerangs is that they have to be artifacts if you want to use them. Otherwise you lose them.